Sunday, August 27, 2006

Beware of the Rocks

I didn't get any artwork done on Saturday, but I did attend the monthly meeting of the West Coast Encaustic Artists. There were some new faces there and we continue to prepare for our inaugural exhibition of encaustic artwork at the O'Hanlon Center in October. There certainly has been a lot of volunteer work people have put in preparing for it! I had a really lovely chat with Cyndy Goldman over hot chocolate after the meeting and we inspired each other with what to work on for our next wax pieces.

On Sunday, I decided to take the logs out of my red barn painting (so it wasn't done after all!). I didn't rendered them very well and they were bothering me and when I had some friends critique the piece, that came up as an issue and that sealed their fate for me. Out they go...

I made a little more progress on my Big Sur seascape oil painting (24x30"). I made the sky more of a sky that has tints of red in the clouds of a setting sky (not dramatic but it gets the point across) and began to model the foreground rocks. Rocks have always been the bane of my existence. I am horrible at them and I keep doing them thinking eventually my relationship to them will become a little less adversarial. So facing down my fear is a significant part of the process when I do rocks. These have a good start to them, so we'll see. Maybe this will be the time that rocks won't trip me up. These will eventually be sitting in the sea water with foamy white stuff.

Then I started the first layer of 6 more miniature oil paintings (4x4"). That will make a total of 24 of them. I still have to do the details on them, but they will be ready for Open Studios and people seem to like these a lot.


Technorati tags: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home