Sunday, June 18, 2006

Weekend with the Arts

This weekend was pretty productive for doing and being around art for me. What I accomplished:

1. Worked a little more on my encaustic, getting the red stripe in the middle. It has a little texture and I'm proud of my straight lines, given I'm working with heated wax.


2. Started a knife minimalist oil painting of a marin sunset that is 24x30".


3. Started two other 24x30" oil paintings. One will be an abstract (a knife painting) and the other is a painting of koi fish, specifically 7 of them (the water is with a brush and the fish themselves will be with painting knives).

4. Laid down 6 layers of clear wax on four (count 'em, four!) 12x12" encaustic paintings, on wood supports. I'm going to do a series of images on "connectedness", in wax, so I wanted to get those going, to begin to build up the thickness of it.

5. Walked around the de Young Museum Sunday afternoon. Got in on the last day of the Arts and Crafts Movement exhibit and then walked around to the other galleries. The first picture below is from the observation deck at the top of the museum (great view all around the observation deck) and the second photo is a picture of a blown glass sculpture I liked...of fruit. Lit up, it looked very neat. I like glass art. It is so translucent. I think one of my favorite exhibits was an installation of all kinds of pieces of completed blackened charred wood hanging from various wires - and the wood came from one of the churches burned down in Atlanta. It was called "Anti-Mass".



It was both a very productive art weekend as well as inspirational.

Technorati tags: , , ,,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home