Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Swimming with the Fishes

I was able to get a little art work done on the long weekend. Would like to have done more but am glad for what I was able to do.

I worked on the background on my 24x30" koi oil painting. Here it is - obviously without the fish painted yet. It is called "Seven Koi" (simple enough...)


I also almost finished a 24x30" red abstract painting. I like how it is coming out. It will need about one more session after this layer dries. I have come to enjoy doing abstract paintings just as much as my landscapes. It feels like my abstracts speak to my internal landscapes (which I am getting better about exploring on canvas) and my landscape paintings speak to the external environments I find so much comfort with in Northern California.

I started two new 24x30" oil paintings - both landscapes. The first is of an old red barn in a golden field. I was able to complete painting the sky and the background mountains. The second one is of a Sonoma vineyard in the autumn (from a picture I took last year, when the vines were really orange), which just happens to have a barn in it, too. So I guess I'll have two barn paintings. I also worked on just the sky and background mountains on this one as well. Both of these are laying flat to dry and are too wet (I paint around the edges of all my canvases so even the edges are all wet) to stand up and take a photo of for the blog, but I will as they progress a little more.

Finally, I took just a couple of hours on my encaustic paintings, and laid down 2 layers each on 2 12x12" wax paintings. These layers are of deep cadium yellow (has a slight orange tinge to it, definitely one of my favorite colors to paint with). I didn't have a dark brown wax color I needed for the next stage, so the rest of these pieces will have to wait until I go buy some more wax. I am doing a series of 4 12x12" wax paintings, all of which will be abstract and explore imagery around the idea of connection.

I was able to see the San Francisco 4th of July fireworks out my back window and the fog stayed away long enough so it was quite beautiful.



Technorati tags: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home