Saturday, April 28, 2007

Cow Descending

The good news for me in today's painting session is that my second attempt at a cow at least looks like a cow... I think.... [as for my first attempt last weekend, let's just say I had a cow "accident" and it so didn't look like *any* animal that I had to wipe it out. No genetic animal experiments gone wrong on my hands!]

I'm learning the ins and outs of painting with painting knives. It's more challenging than I anticipated. But I like it so far and want to do more.

I wanted this painting to be minimalist, abstracty (I'm pretty sure THAT is not a word!) in nature, and moody. I'm going to live with it for a few days and see if I just leave it as it is or if it is calling out for more work on it.

Sometimes I won't like a piece of work and quit it for that reason, only to learn either (a) I like it better after some time, (b) I never end up liking it any better but other people do. Not saying either of these apply to this painting, I've just learned to reserve my internal judgment (which can be so severe) and see what the painting says to me after I let a little time pass.

Also, my friends have been teasing me lately for my cow paintings (which I *always* get requests for from collectors), so I thought I'd take a cow out of my usual landscapes and put him (her?) in unfamiliar surroundings.




Technorati tags: , ,

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home