Sunday, October 08, 2006

Wax Works : An Encaustic Exhibit

This week, the wax group I belong to - The West Coast Encaustic Artists, opened their first encaustic exhibit at the O'Hanlon Art Center in Mill Valley, CA. The exhibit runs from now until November 3, 2006. There was a great variety and high quality art work in encaustics there and if you are local and have time to stop by the Art Center, you'll really enjoy the exhibit!

There was an Artists Reception that I went to yesterday, October 7, 2006. Here are some photos I took:

As we walked up to the Art Center on Throckmorton Avenue, there was this amazing buck who had settled down in the shade and didn't seem phased by people at all. Almost looked like a statue, until he would turn and look you straight in the eye. Locals say there is a family of deer who seem pretty acclimated in that neighborhood. This buck seem to be wanting his cultural event on a Saturday night.


There is Elizabeth on the left and some of the art work on the lower level of the main building.


There is Gail Steinberg (the WCEA president) on the left chatting with Eric, probably about something VERY deep.


This is what my pieces looked like within the exhibit. I think they looked better being all displayed together like that.

Rodney Thompson's work is on the left, Cyndy Goldman's three pieces in the middle, and Nancy Pollock is there discussing artwork with some people.

Technorati tags: , , ,, ,,

3 Comments:

Blogger AnaGarrett said...

I never make encaustic art but I love it.
Maibe I try in a near future.
Kisses from Portugal

October 08, 2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger KatieMoe said...

Ana,

Yes, you should give it a try! There are so many things you can do with the surface and things you can embed into the wax. It's a great medium to experiment with!

October 08, 2006 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do encaustic art but end up being fairly traditional. I think I will have to experiment more. You are fortunate having an encaustic art group to be part of. I don`t think there is anything like that for encaustics in the UK. If you`d like to look at my encaustic work have a look at artistsprogress.blogspot.com. I`d love your comments as I`ve only just started blogging. Sue

January 03, 2007 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home