Sunday, November 26, 2006

Playing with Boxes

I get together with a small group of women artists that I met at San Francisco Women Artists Association. We get together just because we like each other but also because we like to set little projects for ourselves and occasionally have get together art critiques on what we've produced for a particular project.

The current project is this: paint in one color only - blue or red, of an object in your bedroom.

I decided to do a short series of four encaustic paintings on the pile of boxes in my room. I stuck to the rules on the first one, titled "Boxes Scattered" - every shade had blue in it, so it was an all-blue painting (there are specks of brown slightly showing through here and there - from the old encaustic painting I scraped back and painted over but I figured I'd be forgiven for this). Then I decided I wanted to do three more and that I didn't need to stick to the rules anymore (so like me... I like the rules and then I like to break them). I finished the second painting, titled "Boxes Piled" this weekend as well. The group is getting together December 17th for a holiday meal and an art critique, so I'll have time to complete two more in this series. Each of the four are on 12x12" wood panels. I may play more with each of these after the other two are done...I'm not quite feeling like I won't want to re-visit these to work a bit more on them, but if December 17th sneaks up on me, they are done enough to bring.

I enjoyed doing the first two and it just felt good to go back at the wax and continue to try and improve on my technique and execution.





Technorati tags: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Andi said...

I lo-lo-lo-LOVE these. If I had an inch of blue in my house I'd be begging you for them :)

November 28, 2006 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home