Friday, May 12, 2006

Pre-Framing My Next Encaustic

Here is a photo of how the first "support" looks (of the 6 pieces I cut wood for) before I begin to lay layers of encaustic wax on it.

Painted the "frame" black (acrylic paint), glued the thin plywood to the back with wood glue. Braced it and let it dry.

Now I only have to attach d-ring screws on the back (I like to do that before I paint with wax, then I don't have to mess with screwing things into the surface once the painting is complete) and on the front I will tape the black frame part with painters tape (to keep wax drippings off it).

I still have to see how difficult this will be to work with once I start the wax painting part, but so far I like the idea of how framed it looks before I even begin...and that I won't be adding anymore weight after the fact to put a frame around it. It's pretty much that the "frame" is doing double duty as the bracing for the thin plywood and the framing for the finished look.

It's an experiment but might work out great.

I'll try and post some work-in-progress stages of this particular piece as I go along.



Technorati tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home