Sunday, January 17, 2010

While I'm on the scamming topic

Okay, I guess I've just been a target lately. Makes me want to post every scam email I receive so other artists can get a sense of what these look like.

Here is one today:

Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:39:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Jessica Bianchi
Subject: Art Enquiry
To: undisclosed recipients: ;

Hello,
I and my Cousin have interest in purchasing some piece of Art from your gallery hence i will like to know if you sell internationally (Belarus) and also if you accept (Credit Card) as a method of payment,if you do i want you to get back to me with your updated webpage, so that i can make choice of the Art to purchase from your gallery.
Your response is needed so that we can proceed.
I await your response.
Thanks
Jessica

Well, the TO field being undisclosed recipients was a dead give-away, that they don't even know if I HAVE a website with art and the usual poor email formatting and grammatical errors and the IP originated from San Mateo, CA not Belarus.

At least I don't even have to reply ONCE to this one!

Update: I decided to start my own page with advice on how to recognize these scam emails and also I am keeping a list of the scammers I get. I'm glad these are helping to reduce at least some people from falling victim to them. Wish there was a way to stop them but they are like pesky nat flies. You just have to keep swatting at them. Anyway, here is my own scam alert page. Stay safe!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you so much for this warning. My administrator got the same email today from our website, responded, luckily forwarded it to me. I immediately googled this person, and your blog came up... It was a good learning experience for my staff..

Alan Avery
AlanAveryArtCompany, Atlanta


On Mar 26, 2010, at 3:43 PM, jessica wrote:

> This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.alanaveryartcompany.com from:
> jessica
>
> Hello,
> I and my Cousin have interest in purchasing some piece of Art from your gallery hence i will like to know if you sell internationally (Belarus) and also if you accept (Credit Card) as a method of payment,if you do i want you to get back to me with your updated webpage, so that i can make choice of the Art to purchase from your gallery.
> Your response is needed so that we can proceed.
> I await your response.
> Thanks
> Jessica

March 27, 2010 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home