Monday, April 08, 2013

Work Art Balance

I've had a fortunate life where I can always make time to create art. Not fortunate enough to make a living from my art but I've worked in my own business since 1995 so that I can balance work to pay the bills and art to feed my soul. Sometimes that is more challenging than other times.

And this is one of those times.

Typically working with small to medium-sized businesses to help them with social media, their websites, their online marketing and relationship strategies, I've taken on a client for 9 months that is much larger than is typical for me. I'm very excited for the project, building a large online community for a very large company, but it will take my full focus to succeed at their aggressive goals. I've built many online communities over the years, and still host one at CraftWEB.com that began in 1994 and is still running and active and vibrant today. I love building communities and connecting people with each other and with good content. So all of that is perfect for me. I'm the right person for this job.

But I'm aware art is going to take more of a back seat in my life for awhile. I'll have to work harder to schedule time to paint and balance that with my chores, and seeing people. The stuff of life. Although a solitary activity for me, art is the stuff of life for me as well.

I did just complete two large oil paintings right before I signed this contract. I'm glad I did that. And while my art studio is there and will wait for me, I also brought a full set of paints home so that I might be able to do smaller projects or maybe just shorter painting stints here and there on the weekends - just to keep it going.

I find I can't let painting go more than several weeks. I begin to not feel quite right. And so, beginning today, I embark on an experiment of balancing work and art and making sure both feel heard and supported and expressed.

A friend (not an artist but someone who appreciates art) told me not that long ago, "It used to be artists had benefactors. Now they have jobs."

I'll take that thought with me as I re-enter the corporate world and create another great space for community online.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you could be a great author. I will bookmark your blog and come back at some point.

July 14, 2013 6:51 AM  
Anonymous margaret said...

I am glad I visited and am up again on what is going on in your life - both art and all the other "stuff". Also enjoyed looking at your new paintings. I relate to what you said about not feeling quite right when you let painting go for more than several weeks. But the other stuff of life - whether it is making a living or keeping relationships and families working - is awfully demanding. Is this dance of life what we have to keep doing? There seems to be no way around it...

July 19, 2013 12:06 PM  
Blogger KatieMoe said...

Yes, I am continuing on this new project and my online community building is going well, but I've not had the energy to do art and my soul misses it terribly. Looking at lots of art is not the same as creating it.

But I trust the universe and just let things go as they go. I know I will begin to find ways to carve out time for art again.

July 19, 2013 1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow nice post! you have lovely blog. :)

March 26, 2014 5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How ironic that I find this post thru your scammers blog ...

The scammer was trying to buy one of the last pieces I painted before returning to my former career in marketing (content and social media).

I hope your online marketing gig is going well! And that your return to marketing soon.

Rhonda

July 08, 2014 6:14 AM  
Blogger KatieMoe said...

Thanks Rhonda! I'm glad the scam didn't proceed too far for you. I like that the scam blog and scam facebook pages I maintain are helping at least some people avoid the relentless scammers.

I am doing very well in my job and like that I don't have to worry about having enough money - that part is good. And the work is enjoyable and challenging. But I miss all the time I used to have to paint and be in the "zone" of creating art. I still get about one afternoon a week to work on art but it is clearly not enough and I actually feel an ache to be doing it more.

I also found my artwork has benefited because I am not currently so focused on the selling aspect of making art - I'm just making it when I can and there is a freedom in that as well.

It is a different phase of my life and I get to experience other things - I travel more because instead of just taking time off that is unpaid - which I tended not to do, I have actual paid vacations now, and that has been great.

So I accept life as it presents itself and I feel lucky to be able to still have my art studio and still touch base with making art at least on a weekly basis.

July 08, 2014 6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home